What is Laparoscopic Surgery?
Laparoscopc Suregy is a technique whereby surgery is performed through several small “keyhole” incisions in the abdomen, where instruments like a laparoscope (a thin telescope-like instrument), scissors and graspers are inserted to perform the surgery.
Gynaecological Surgeries that can be performed by Laparoscopy
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Investigation of infertility
- Removal of uterus (hysterectomy)
- Removal of fibroids (myomectomy)
- Endometriosis surgery
- Prolapse of the uterus
- Removal of the ovarian cysts
- Cancer of the endometrium
Advantages of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Less postoperative pain.
- Quicker return of bowel function.
- Quicker return to solid food.
- Quicker return to daily activities.
- Reduced chance of scar formation in the abdomen.
- Reduced infection
- Reduced bleeding during surgery.
- Smaller scars on the skin.
- Video magnification offers the surgeon a better view.