Selva's Fertility, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Clinic
Since its founding in 1994, Selva's Fertility, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Clinic has been striving to deliver the best cares to patients may it be pregnant mothers, women with gynaecological problems or couples seeking fertility assistance.
Under the direction of its founder, Dr. Sevellaraja Supermaniam, the clinic specializes in advanced laparoscopic surgeries, notably treatment of endometriosis, infertility, ovarian cysts, ectopic pregnancy, and hysterectomy. Besides, the clinic provides a comprehensive range of infertility services such as basic infertility work-up, intrauterine insemination (IUI), in-vitro fertilization (IVF), intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), cryopreservation (sperm and embryo freezing), and testicular sperm aspiration (TESA).
The clinic is also equipped with a GE Voluson E8 machine, which is able to render very realistic 3D surface images of the fetal face and body in real time. Not only such ability offers the doctor significant advantage in diagnosis, but also, often, it gives the expectant parents an indescribable excitement to see their unborn baby. In addition, the doctor is able to capture these precious moments of pregnancy on the screen for the parents' keepsake.
The clinic is based in Mahkota Medical Centre, which is located in the heart of the historic Malacca City.
Dr. Sevellaraja Supermaniam, better known as Dr. Selva, received his MBBS at University Malaya, Malaysia in 1985 and later trained at Sultanah Aminah Hospital in Johor Bahru. After obtaining his MRCOG in 1991, he worked in the United Kingdom for one year. On returning to Malaysia, he was appointed as clinical specialist in the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit at Sultanah Aminah Hospital. Later, he was transferred to Batu Pahat District Hospital as a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist. He left the government service and joined Mahkota Medical Centre (MMC), Malacca in 1994 and since then has remained as the hospital's resident Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist. Dr. Selva was awarded the fellowship of International College of Surgeons (FICS) in 2002. In 2004, he received his Master's degree in reproductive medicine from University of Western Sydney, Australia. In the same year, he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRCOG).
Dr. Selva is a pioneer of laparoscopic surgery in Malaysia. He received training at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan in 1994. Since trained, he has been a committed laparoscopic surgeon having performed more than 3,500 cases.
In 1997, after undergoing an in-vitro fertilization (IVF) training at King's College, London, together with Zoe Lau, a colleague and an embryologist in MMC, Dr. Selva founded the Mahkota IVF Centre. At that time, it was the first IVF Centre in south of Kuala Lumpur. He has been the IVF clinician at MMC since then, and has devoted himself in assisted reproductive techniques to treat his patients.
Besides his roles in MMC, Dr. Selva is also a visiting minimally invasive surgeon at Malacca General Hospital. With a passion in teaching, he has furthered his capacity to be a part-time clinical lecturer at Melaka Manipal Medical College since its inception.
Dr. Selva is married to Sarojini and they have 3 lovely children, Ashmeera, and twins, Amita and Ainesh.Professional Affiliations
- Mahkota Medical Center
- 2009 - Present, Member of Board of Management
- 2007 - Present, Head of Obstetrical & Gynaecological Unit
- 1997 - Present, Head of IVF Unit
- 2006 - 2007, Member of Medical & Dental Advisory Committee
- General Medical Council (GMC), United Kingdom
- 2003 - Present, Overseas Doctor
- 2000 - 2003, Registered Member
- 1997 - 2000, Overseas Doctor
- 1991 - 1997, Registered Member
- Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Malaysia (OGSM)
- Malaysian Medical Association (MMA), Melaka Branch
- 2010 - Present, Life Member
- 2001 - 2010, Committee Member
- 2000 - 2001, Chairman of Private Practitioners Section (PPS)
- 1999 - 2000, Chairman
- 1998 - 1999, Vice Chairman
- 1997 - 1998, Secretary
- 1996 - 1997, Committee Member
- American Association of Gynaecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL)
- 2000 - Present, Member
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- 1997 - Present, Member
- International Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (ISGE)
- 1996 - Present, Member
- Family Planning Association Malacca
- 2008 - Present, Voluntary Doctor
- 2001 - 2007, Chairman
- 1999 - 2000, Medical Subcommittee Chairman
- 1996 - 1998, Voluntary Doctor
- Johor Family Planning Association
- 1988 - 1994, Voluntary Doctor
- Supermaniam, S. (2010). Polycystic ovary syndrome. In Arulkumaran, Sabaratnam, Gopalan, Sarala & Kumar, Pratap (Eds.), Obstetrics and Gynecology for Postgraduates, 3rd Ed. , Vol. 2, pp. 91-107. Hyderabad: Universities Press. ISBN 978-81-7371-691-1.
Professional Courses and Congresses Attended
Professional Courses and Congresses Organized
Talks for Professional Audiences
Guest Lectures/Demonstrations in Laparoscopy Workshops